Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Bridging the Gap

When I encounter problems or challenges, I'll often refer to the solutions as "bridging the gap". In fact, I said that just a few days back when referring to curriculum and the means to access it - both may very well exist, we simply need to bridge the gap between the information and consumption thereof.

Bailey Bridge

For me, the phrase "bridge the gap" originates from 1993 when I realized working a handful of part-time jobs while a full-time Math & Computer Science student was too much. To relieve the financial burden, I decided to enlist in the US Army Reserves. The military occupation I chose was Combat Engineer, or 12C, because there was a unit just 45 minutes away in Ellsworth, WI in the 652nd Engineer Company. As a Combat Engineer our job was to "bridge the gap" whether it be over a river, or in the case of the float bridge: on the river! As an eventual boat operator, it was the best job ever.

Ribbon (float) Bridge

I took the fall semester of 1992 off from school to head to Basic Training, which for me meant the first time I'd be jumping on a plane in route to Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Some may find that experience scary, but believe it or not, I was excited to challenge myself and do something different.

1992

Fast forward to my room and bunk assignment, we had eight soldiers in my room and the guy I shared my bunk with - also known as my "battle buddy" - was Charles Lucas. Lucas was from Kentucky and he was a thin, quiet kid that was similar to me in that we'd be just fine if our names weren't known. That's a sign you're not making mistakes.

In Basic we had something called "Trailblazer" and if you were on the trail it means you have passed every written, oral and physical test. I'll admit - it was tough but Lucas and I worked our tails off. Despite the five or so hours of sleep and long days of non-stop training, we worked out every night and studied together.

By the end of basic training, only one guy out of 180 or so soldiers achieved Trailblazer status. It wasn't me, as I had made an error tying a "ring main" of detonating cord. However, the one soldier that earned the Trailblazer status was Lucas, and I think that meant more to me than if I had achieved it myself, because I know I encouraged him day after day, night after night.

Ten years later in 2003 I was mobilized and headed back to Fort Leonard Wood to prepare for Operation Enduring Freedom in Iraq, primarily because of the potential need to bridge the Tigris or Euphrates Rivers near Baghdad. As it turned out the permanent bridges on those rivers remained in tact and we did not end up deploying overseas.

2003

I share this because the military has played a big role in my life. I learned that missions require teamwork and selfless service in order to succeed. I learned how to balance physical and mental strength, as the absence of either could result in the failure of a critical mission. I learned that accountability is a two-way street - I needed my squad or platoon to trust in me as much as I trusted in them.


739th Engineer Company, St. Louis, MO, 2003

My unique blend of leading by example and individual relationships led to a strong foundation on which to get the job done, for those that counted on us to "bridge the gap".



No comments:

Post a Comment

2022-23 Equalization Aid Computations for Howard-Suamico School District

I have taken the time to unpack the Equalization Aid formula. All of this data is available on the WI DPI website, but it is not easy readin...